Links · Books
"A saint a real saint never does anything, a martyr does something but a really good saint does nothing, and so I wanted to have Four Saints who did nothing and I wrote the Four Saints in Three Acts and they did nothing and that was everything."
- Gertrude Stein Online which is bringing forth some very exciting projects, including:
- Gertrude Stein at Bartleby.com now includes complete texts for Tender Buttons and Three Lives.
- Modern & Contemporary American Poetry – Many individual quotes, verses of, and and writing about GS, including a biography. Posted by Al Filreis, Professor of English, University of Pennsylvania.
- "The Geographical History of America" by Gertrude Stein: in paragraph format and in stanza format
- The World of Gertrude Stein -biography of an early twentieth century author and legend This is a very nice illustrated biography of Stein. Another great website from Ellen's Place.
- At Epitaph Gertrude Stein, you can
contribute your stanzas to "an international epitaph to be created in honour of Gertrude Stein."
- North Side: Gertrude Stein - Some interesting writing here from the Bridging the Urban Landscape, a web project on the history of Pittsburgh, where GS was born.
- Some photographs of GS at the American Memory Project from the Library of Congress.
- Visit Gertude Stein's (virtual) "salon at 27 rue de fleurus", wherein you will find all sorts of anecdotes about and excerpts from the writings of Gertrude and of Alice B. Toklas. This fun stuff is coming to us from gURL.com.
- Poetry of Gertrude Stein The requisite page from the Isle of Lesbos has a brief excerpt from "Before the Flowers of Friendship Faded Faded."
- Are you keeping up with the weekly episodes of "the continuing adventures of Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas, as told by Gertrude," at ElectroAsylum?
- "Gertrude Stein, Harold Gilbert Talk; Understand? Alas, He Does, Doesn't" (Just a short interview.)
- Bibliography of Works by Gertrude Stein, Compiled by Kimmo Sääskilahti.
- Gertrude Stein & Sherwood Anderson Links will lead you to some more about GS.
- To get an idea of what's in print, try the complete book listings at Amazon.com for Gertrude Stein. Here are some selected primary titles:
- The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein.
Paperback - Vintage Books; ISBN: 067972463X Reissue edition (March 1990)
Library Binding: Econo-Clad Books; ISBN: 0613170938; (October 1999)
Digital: Adobe Reader Format Publisher: Modern Library; ISBN: B00005ORG9; 1 edition (October 2000)
Digital: Microsoft Reader FormatPublisher: Modern Library; ISBN: B000051WZU; 1 edition (October 2000)
- How to Write by Gertrude Stein, Patricia Meyerowitz (Designer). Paperback: ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.80 x 6.31 x 4.63 Publisher: Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486231445; (June 1975)
- Ida: A Novel by Gertrude Stein. Paperback: 154 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.47 x 7.26 x 4.33 Publisher: Random House (Paper); ISBN: 039471797X; (September 1972)
- Library of America:
"...the Library of America has given her its official stamp of approval as a Great American Writer by dedicating its 99th and 100th volumes to collecting together her voluminous works. Volume 1 covers Stein's work between the years 1903 and 1932 and includes a fascinating mix of previously unpublished prose (her 1903 novel Q.E.D., theater work such as Four Saints in Three Acts, and of course, her poetry, experimental prose, lectures, and essays). For Gertrude Stein aficionados, this collection is a welcome and long-awaited event." Amazon.com
- Volume 99 – Gertrude Stein : Writings 1903-1932.
by Gertrude Stein, Harriet Chessman and Catharine R. Stimpson, editors. Hardcover - 960 pages (March 1998)
Library of America; ISBN: 188301140X
- Volume 100 – Gertrude Stein : Writings 1932-1946
by Gertrude Stein, Harriet Chessman and Catharine R. Stimpson, editors. Hardcover - 864 pages (March 1998)
Library of America; ISBN: 1883011418
- Lucy Church Amiably by Gertrude Stein. Paperback - Dalkey Archive Pr; (April 2000) ISBN: 1564782409 240 pages.
- The Making of Americans: Being a History of a Family's Progress (American Literature Series)
by Gertrude Stein, William H. Gass, Steven Meyer (Introduction). Paperback: 925 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.61 x 8.04 x 6.04 Publisher: Dalkey Archive Pr; ISBN: 1564780880; Reprint edition (December 1995)
- Paris France by Gertrude Stein. Paperback: ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.32 x 8.23 x 5.54 Publisher: W.W. Norton & Company; ISBN: 0871401606; Reissue edition (March 1996) LC Call No.: DC715 .S68
- Picasso by Gertrude Stein. Paperback: 55 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.36 x 8.45 x 5.42 Publisher: Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486247155; (November 1984)
- Selected writings. Edited, with an introd. and notes, by Carl van Vechten and with an essay on Gertrude Stein by F. W. Dupee. LC Call No. PS3537.T323 A6 Dewey No. 818.52
Paperback: 706 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.22 x 8.02 x 5.20 Publisher: Vintage Books; ISBN: 0679724648; Rei edition (April 1990)
Hardcover: Publisher: Peter Smith Pub; ISBN: 0844666335; (June 1992)
- Stanzas in Meditation by Gertrude Stein. (Sun and Moon Classics, No 44) Paperback: 184 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.61 x 7.48 x 5.01
Publisher: Sun & Moon Press; ISBN: 1557131694; (December 1994) LC Call No.: PS3537.T323 A6 1969 vol. 6 Dewey No.: 811/.5/2
- Tender Buttons : Objects, Food, Rooms by Gertrude Stein.
Paperback - Dover Pubns; (November 1997) 64 pages ISBN: 0486298973
Library Binding- Classic Books; ISBN: 1582018413
- Three lives : stories of the good Anna, Melanctha, and the gentle Lena by Gertrude Stein. LC Call No. PS3537.T323 T5 Dewey No. 813/.52 19
Paperback: 262 pages ; Publisher: Penguin USA ISBN: 0140181849; (June 1990)
Hardcover: 352 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.91 x 8.55 x 5.75 Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan; ISBN: 0312226969; (February 2000) Three Lives (Bedford Cultural Edition) by Gertrude Stein, Linda Wagner-Martin (Editor).
Audio Cassette: Walter Zimmermann (Reader). Publisher: Blackstone Audio Books; ISBN: 0786106093; Unabridged, 6 cassettes edition (June 1990)
- To Do: A Book of Alphabets and Birthdays by Gertrude Stein. Paperback: 144 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.40 x 5.90 x 4.15 Publisher: Consortium Book Sales & Dist; ISBN: 1892295164; (December 15, 2000)
- Try the Library of Congress Catalogs to see what you may be able to obtain through your library or interlibrary loan.