Links · Books
The printer-painter-poet-prophet who consorts with angels.
- The William Blake Archive - This ambitious project continues its tremendous progress in making very high quality full-color illuminated versions of many of Blake's works available on line. Many other resources available here as well, including bibliographies.
- Tyger of Wrath: William Blake in the National Gallery of Victoria. "A comprehensive website of 176 works online, which accompanied the exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria, from 28 April to 30th June, 1999."
- Blake Digital Text Project Presents the Complete Works edited by David V. Erdman, and an online concordance. Other resources and commentary as well.
- Blake, William at Nicolas Pioch's Webmuseum. Reproduced here are eight works.
- The William Blake at CGFA- Carol Gerten-Jackson's Virtual Art Museum. Eleven images, many the same as at the Webmuseum (above).
- The William Blake Page This site has beautifully rendered text and colored facsimiles of Illustrations for the Book of Job, Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience, and The Marriage of Heaven and Hell and its own collection of Other Paintings of William Blake.
- William Blake: Collected Poems A short biography and many works online here from Bibliomania, the Network Library.
- Blake listings in the imagebase at The Thinker, site of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. Contains over 100 Blake images including many plates from the Book of Job; wood engravings from The Pastorals of Virgil by Robert John Thornton; The Complaint, and the Consolation; or Night Thoughts; Original Stories from Real Life to Form the Mind to Truth and Goodness by Mary Wollstonecraft; many others.
- Selected Poetry of William Blake - forty poems. Online text from the University of Toronto English Library, at the University of Toronto.
- The First Book of Urizen and "Fair Elenor" in HTML versions. David Worrall (Editor)
- Quite a few poems are on-line at the William Blake Page from Poetry Archives.
- William Blake, Illustrations to [Thomas] Gray – eleven of Blake's illustrations to Thomas Gray's poems are part of the Dictionary of Sensibility project.
- Jerusalem: The Emanation of The Giant Albion by William Blake. An Introduction and Hypertext Edition of plates 15, 35, 53, and 94. From the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill under the supervision of Joseph Viscomi
- Blake Exhibit at the Tate A site created to support an exhibition that ran 9 November 2000 - 11 February 2001, contains some interesting and educational materials.
- William Blake: A Helpfile. This helpfile is designed to introduce some of the major works by William Blake (1757-1827). Contains: Songs of Innocence and Experience (selection), Auguries of Innocence, Jerusalem (from the 'Preface' to Milton), All Religions Are One, There is No Natural Religion, The Book of Thel, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (extracts), all accompanied by illustrations and commentary, and a short biograpy.
- Poet's Corner has posted: "To Autumn," "A War Song to Englishmen," "To Tirzah," "Soft Snow," and "The Land of Dreams."
- 5 pages of excerpts from Blake illustrated with his artwork from the Chrisis Church of Art.
- Blake/An Illustrated Quarterly An online academic journal
- William Blake, the patron saint of self-publishers is celebrated profusely on the Internet. To find out what I've missed,try these search engines for their "William Blake" results:
Northern Light -
Open Directory -
- For what's available in print, the complete list of books available from Amazon.com includes the following primary works:
- Illuminated Books of William Blake Series from Princeton:
- (Volume 1) Jerusalem : The Emanation of the Great Albion, by William Blake, edited by Morton D. Paley, David Bindman.
Paperback - 302 pages Reprint edition Vol 1 (October 1997) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691029075
Hardcover - 302 pages (September 1991)
Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691069352
- (Volume 2) Songs of Innocence and of Experience edited by Andrew Lincoln, David Bindman, Morton D. Paley.
Paperback - 212 pages Reprint edition Vol 2 (December 1994) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691037906
Hardcover - 209 pages (September 1991) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691069360
- (Volume 3) The Early Illuminated Books : All Religions Are One / There Is No Natural Religion/the Book of Thel / The Marriage of Heaven and Hell / Visions of the Daughters of Albion, edited by Morris Eaves , Robert N. Essick. Joseph S. Viscomi.
Paperback - 286 pages Reprint edition (October 1998) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691001472
Hardcover - 286 pages (January 1994) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691033870
- (Volume 4) The Continental Prophecies : America : A Prophecy, Europe : A Prophecy, the Song of Los, edited by D. W. Dorrbecker, David Worrall.
Paperback - 368 pages Reprint edition (October 1998) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691001456
Hardcover - 367 pages Vol 4 (September 1995) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691036748
- (Volume 5) Milton a Poem : And the Final Illuminated Works : The Ghost of Abel/On Homers Poetry (And) on Virgil/Laocoon. edited by Joseph Viscomi, Robert Essick.,Hardcover - 286 pages (January 1994), Princeton Univ Pr;
Hardcover - 286 pages (January 1994) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691033935
Paperback - 286 pages Reprint edition (October 1998) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691001480
- (Volume 6) The Urizen Books : The First Book of Urizen/the Book of Ahania/the Book of Los , David Worrall (Editor)
Paperback - 228 pages Reprint edition (October 1998) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691001464
Hardcover - 231 pages Vol 6 (September 1995) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691044163
- Blake's Poetry and Designs : Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism, (Norton Critical Edition) by William Blake, John Ernest Grant, John F. Grant (Editor), Mary L. Johnson (Editor) Paperback - 618 pages 1 Ed edition (May 1980)
W.W. Norton & Company; ISBN: 0393090833
- The Illuminated Blake : William Blake's Complete Illuminated Works With a Plate-By-Plate Commentary by David V. Erdman (Editor) Paperback - 416 pages reprint edition - this is black and white - (September 1992) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486272346
- The Complete Poetry and Prose of William Blake, edited by David V. Erdman (Editor), William Golding. designer: Harold Bloom
Paperback - 990 pages Rev edition (April 16, 1982) Anchor Books; ISBN: 0385152132
Hardcover - 990 pages Rev edition (July 1982) Univ California Press; ISBN: 0520044738
- Blake's Illustrations for the Book of Job. Paperback (November 1995) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486287653
- Blake's Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) edited by Virginia Erdman, David Erdman. Paperback - 83 pages (June 1995) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486285170
- The Book of Urizen : A Facsimile Paperback - 48 pages (December 1997) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486298019
- Favorite Works of William Blake : Three Full-Color Books : Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience, the Marriage of Heaven and Hell. Paperback (February 1996) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486290867
- Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience (Dover Thrift Editions) Paperback - 52 pages (February 1992) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486270513
- Songs of Experience Paperback - 42 pages (August 1984) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486246361
- The Marriage of Heaven and Hell : In Full Color Paperback - 43 pages Rep edition (September 1994) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486281221
- Songs of Innocence and of Experience Paperback - 155 pages (July 1989) Oxford University Press (Trade); ISBN: 0192810898
- Blake: Complete Writings With Variant Readings edited by Geoffrey Keynes (Editor) Paperback 2 edition (June 1971) Oxford University Press; ISBN: 0192810502
- Selected Poetry (Oxford World's Classics), Michael Mason (Editor) Paperback (July 1998) Oxford Univ Pr (Trade); ISBN: 0192834894
- Selected Poems (Everyman Paperback Classics), Peter Butter (Editor) Paperback Reprint edition Everyman Paperback Classics; ISBN: 0460873091
- The Divine Comedy (The Classics of World Spirituality) by Alighieri Dante, William Blake (Illustrator), James F. Cotter (Translator) Paperback - 656 pages (August 1993) Element; ISBN: 0916349187
- The Human Form Divine : William Blake from the Paul Mellon Collection by Patrick Noon Hardcover - 76 pages (April 1997) Yale Univ Pr; ISBN: 0300071744
- The Library of Congress Catalogs will give you an idea of what may be available at your local library or through interlibrary loan.
- You may find more at the online Catalog of the Oxford University Libraries.