Links · Books
When one's life asks a riddle, is it alright to give away all the answers?
- The single hound; poems of a lifetime. With an introduction by her niece, Martha Dickinson Bianchi. This is the Boston: Little, Brown, 1914 first edition.
- Emily Dickinson at Bartleby.com includes a copy of the Complete Poems with an introduction by her niece, Martha Dickinson Bianchi. This is the Little, Brown edition of 1924.
- The University of Michigan Humanities Text Initiative (HTI) contains, in its American Verse Project:
- Emily Dickinson - many poems (from various Todd/Higginson versions). From the University of Maryland's Women's Studies Database.
- Emily Dickinson pages from the Academy of American Poets includes twenty five poems from the Ralph W. Franklin ed. (Harvard, 1998), a short biography, links, etc.
- The Emily Dickinson International Society
"The Society creates a forum for scholarship on Dickinson and her relation to the tradition of American poetry and women's literature." Here are many great resources found nowhere else.
- Emily Dickinson Page. This is a generous resource with many interesting links.
- "A bird came down the walk:", and "The brain within its groove...", at the Eclectic Artistry Poetry Gallery
- Emily Dickinson: a page from Modern American Poets, an online journal and multimedia companion to Anthology of Modern American Poetry. Many scholarly analyses on ED's poems from the Anthology are found here.
- Erin's Emily Dickinson Page includes more all the time: selected poems, a list of journal articles on the web, links, and more.
- "Emily Dickinson: Continuing Enigma"is an essay by Jone Johnson Lewis accompanied by copious links.
- Dickinson Electronic Archives This project provides many secondary resources, unfortunately, access to the ED correspondances is restricted.
- Listings for Emily Dickinson at Amazon Books will give a good idea as to what's in print and available for purchase. Following are some selected titles:
- The Manuscript Books of Emily Dickinson : A Facsimile edited by R. W. Franklin. Published: Cambridge, Mass. : Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1981. LC Call No.: PS1541 .A1 1981 Hardcover - 1442 pages (April 1981) Belknap Pr; ISBN: 0674548280
- The Poems of Emily Dickinson (Belknap), R.W. Franklin, Editor. This is a one-volume reader's edition of the complete poems by a highly acclaimed scholar of Dickinson. The most accurate and complete version available today. Hardcover: 704 pages.
Publisher: Belknap Pr; ISBN: 0674676246; Reading edition (September 1999) Derived from the Variorum Edition, which is still available from Harvard.
- The complete poems of Emily Dickinson edited by Thomas H. Johnson. This is the original "accurate" version with the poems numbered in what is thought to be as close to chronological order as can be. In this version the complete poems were first presented not deliberately changed by the editor. LC Call No.: PS1541 .A1 1970 Dewey No.: 811/.4
Paperback - 784 pages (January 1976) Little Brown & Co ISBN: 0316184136
Hardcover (August 1978) Little Brown & Company; ISBN: 0316184144
- Final Harvest : Emily Dickinson's Poems, Thomas H. Johnson (Editor) This is a selection by Johnson. Paperback - 352 pages (September 1997) Little Brown & Co (Pap); ISBN: 0316184152 LC Call No.: PS1541 .A133
- Dickinson : Poems by Emily Dickinson. This is a selection from Johnson's versions made by Brenda Hillman (Editor).
Hardcover - 256 pages Reprint edition (October 1993) Knopf (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets) ISBN: 0679429077
Paperback - 1st edition (August 1995) Shambhala (Shambhala Pocket Classics) ISBN: 1570620997
- Acts of Light by Emily Dickinson, Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Photographer), Jane Langton (Photographer) Originally published in 1980 and nominated for a National Book Award, Acts of Light includes Dickinson's best-loved poems as well as an extensive essay on the poet's life in Amherst, Massachusetts. Color paintings. Hardcover (May 1995) Bulfinch Pr; ISBN: 0821221752
- The Letters of Emily Dickinson by Thomas H. Johnson (Editor), Theadora Ward (Editor), Emily Dickinson Hardcover: 1056 pages ; Publisher: Harvard Univ Pr; ISBN: 0674526279; (December 1996)
- Open Me Carefully: Emily Dickinson's Intimate Letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson by Emily Dickinson, Ellen Louise Hart (Editor), Martha Nell Smith (Editor)
Paperback: 315 pages ; Publisher: Paris Pr; ISBN: 0963818368; (November 1998)
Hardcover: 362 pages ; Publisher: Paris Pr; ISBN: 0963818376; (December 1998)
- The Life of Emily Dickinson by Richard Benson Sewall. Winner of the National Book Award, this massively detailed biography throws a light into the study of the brilliant poet. Paperback Reprint edition (September 1994) Harvard Univ Pr; ISBN: 0674530802
- Emily Dickinson (Radcliffe Biography Series) by Cynthia Griffin Wolff, R. W. B. Lewis Paperback - 635 pages Reprint edition (June 1988) Perseus Pr; ISBN: 020116809X
- Check the Library of Congress Catalogs to see what may be available through interlibrary loan.