Links · Books
On high narrow road
old traveler clears wide swath,
tiny scythe glinting.
- Basho's World offers 44 very nicely illustrated and annotated excerpts, with choice of four English translators, for The Narrow Road to the Deep North (Oku no Hosomichi). Also available here is The Master Haiku Poet Matsuo Basho by Makoto Ueda, a fine short biography, and a Basho Chronology. These resources have been provided by Prof. Stephen Kohl of the Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, University of Oregon.
- Matsuo Bashô: Frog Haiku
(Thirty Translations and One Commentary), also, Matsuo Bashô: Oku no Hosomichi (Nine Translations of the Opening Paragraph) From the Bureau of Public Secrets.
- "Poems on Tanzaku paper" three hanging scrolls at the Permanent Collection of the Yamagata Museum of Art.
- Download the complete texts of Oku no Hosomichi and Oi no kobumi, provided (in Japanese) by the Japanese Text Initiative.
- Pine Valley: 17 poems by Basho translated to English.
- Basho Haiku Demo - a little interaction! How to Leisure is part of How to Japanese.
- Basho's Narrow Road - includes brief excerpts
- "Basho's Journey" and "Basho and Kukai" Calligraphy and words of wisdom from Prof. Hirano, Hideaki 's Site.
- Basho Matsuo from the History of Haiku site all under the aegis of the literary magazine Mushimegane
- Matsuo Basho, a page with some verses from the Archives of Poetry Magazine.
- The Poetry of Basho has six nicely presented poems.
- Basho's Life, A short biography from the site Nakasendo Highway: A Journey to the Heart of Japan.
- The Library of Congress Catalogs will give you an idea of what may be available at your local library or through interlibrary loan.
- Complete listings for Matsuo Basho at Amazon Books includes the following titles:
NOTE: If you link from here to Amazon.com and then buy a book, 5 to 15% of your purchase price will be donated to the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- Matsuo, Basho, 1644-1694, The Narrow Road to the Deep North, and Other Travel Sketches ; translated from the Japanese with an introduction by Nobuyuki Yuasa.
Published: Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1966.
LC Call No.: PL794.4 .A29
- Matsuo, Basho, 1644-1694, On Love and Barley: Haiku of Basho ; translated by Lucien Stryck. Paperback Reprint edition (January 1986) Viking Pr; ISBN: 0140444599 Hardcover (February 1986) Univ of Hawaii Pr; ISBN: 0824810120 LC Call No.: PL794.4.A6 1985b Dewey No.: 895.6/13 19
- Matsuo, Basho, 1644-1694, Basho's Narrow Road : Spring & Autumn Passages : Narrow Road to the Interior and the Renga Sequence - A Farewell Gift to Sora, Two Works ; translated by Hiroaki Sato. Paperback - 192 pages (October 1996) Stone Bridge Press; ISBN: 1880656205
- Matsuo, Basho, 1644-1694, The essential Basho ; translated from the Japanese by Sam Hamill. Boston : Shambhala, 1999. LC Call No.: PL794.4.A24 1998 Dewey No.: 895.6/132 21 ISBN: 1570622825
- Matsuo, Basho, 1644-1694, Full Moon Is Rising : lost haiku of Matsuo Basho, 1644-1694, and travel haiku of Matsuo Basho : a new rendering by James David Andrews. Boston : Branden Press, c1976. LC Call No.: PL794.4 .A22 Dewey No.: 895.6/132 21 ISBN: 0828316511.
- Matsuo, Basho, 1644-1694, The Way of Silence; the prose and poetry of Basho. [Edited by] Richard Lewis. Photos. by Helen Buttfield. New York, Dial Press  LC Call No.: PL794.4.A25 Dewey No.: 895.6/1/3