Links · Books
The hard working free spirit.
- William Morris Society "This site is devoted to William Morris (1834-96), the British craftsman, designer, writer, typographer, and Socialist. It aims to present news of Morris-related events and publications; information about the worldwide William Morris Society; materials relating to the life and work of Morris, his friends and followers; and links to other places of interest on the Internet."
Links to every work of WM published on the Internet.
a section on the designs, including examples from his work in book design, calligraphy, furniture, paintings, drawings, stained glass, tapestries, textiles, wallpapers, and other decorative arts.
"Brief Biography", by Nicholas Salmon
- J.R. Burrows & Company: Historical Design Merchants The site of the carpet supplier for Kelmscott Manor (the Oxfordshire country home of William Morris) has images of some of the Morris & Co. patterns still in production The extensive site also includes the Victorian Events Calendar, with information on Morris, balls and vintage dance programmes, concerts, exhibits, lectures, symposiums, summer schools, and tours. The Founders of the Arts & Crafts Movement 1870 - 1900 link provides a compilation of writings on interior design by Morris and his contemporaries, including lectures and book chapters from the 19th century that are not widely available today. This anthology also provides information about the early years of the Arts & Crafts movement in England and America.
- Many of the images of Morris' work that are available on the internet are indexed by title starting here. Provided by OCAIW: Orazio Centaro's Art Images on the Web.
- The William Morris Pages by Larry Arnold, includes scans of Kelmscott borders and illustrations, links to online texts, etc. Larry has now established a William Morris Discussion Board.
- The Pursuit Of The Ideal: The Life And Art Of William Morris An Exhibition at the University of Michigan Special Collections Library. This is an excellently done site, with an illustrated biography, and several scans of Kelmscott pages done at a professional level.
- The William Morris Gallery, in the London Borough of Waltham Forest, has an online exhibit and many other interesting resources.
- Old Hall: Over-mantel tiles by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co An image of some tiles by Morris and his associates at Queen's College, Cambridge.
- William Morris Art Images presents examples of a number of WM's designs and other resources.
- William Morris (1834-1896) a page on WM with links to other Victorian art and Pre-Raphealites, and a scan of a page from The Glittering Plain.
- William Morris Overview leads to many secondary resources related to WM and his associates, as part of the Victorian Web.
- William Morris 1834-1896: from design to revolution. "Morris' project for a world where 'creative, useful work, replaces useless toil.'" This site concentrates on the social visionary aspect of WM.
- "William Morris and his types," an essay by William S. Peterson on the typographical work of ~.
- William Morris (1834-1896) presents a nicely done short biography, and a list of selected literary works.
- There is a growing wealth of Internet links for William Morris. To find some more, select any of the following search engines for the results on "William Morris."
Northern Light -
Open Directory -
- I'm not going to attempt a bibliography on Morris here. One could start with the bibliographies at the William Morris Home Page as well as those supplied by some of the other sites linked to above.
- You can also access the Library of Congress Catalogs for many more listings.
- You may find more at the online Catalog of the Oxford University Libraries.
- DealPilot.com (formerly acses.com) will give you listings from many online booksellers, including all the major ones, and facilitates price comparisons.
- Amazon Books' listings can supply us with an idea of what's in print today and available for purchase. Here's a selection. Many other titles are available through special order, etc., also decorative items based on his designs...
NOTE: If you link from here to Amazon.com and then buy a book, 2.5 to 15% of your purchase price will be donated to the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair (Forgotten Fantasy Library, Vol 12) by William Morris, Paperback (March 1977) Newcastle Publishing Co; ISBN: 0878771115
- The Designs of William Morris Paperback - 160 pages (November 1995) Phaidon Press Inc.; ISBN: 0714834653
- The Collected Letters of William Morris Norman Kelvin (Editor):
Vol I Hardcover (April 1984) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691065012 -special order: out of print.
Volume II, Part A (1881-1884) Hardcover (March 1988) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691066000
Volume II, Part B (1885-1888) Hardcover 566 pages (December 1987) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691067236
Vol III (1889-1892) Hardcover - 440 pages Vol 003 (December 1996) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691066019
Vol IV (1893-1896) Hardcover - 392 pages Vol 004 (January 1996) Princeton Univ Pr; ISBN: 0691044228
- News from Nowhere : Or an Epoch of Rest : Being Some Chapters from a Utopian Romance (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought) by William Morris, Krishan Kumar (Editor) Hardcover (April 1995)
Cambridge Univ Pr (Short); ISBN: 0521420075
- News from Nowhere and Other Writings (Penguin Classics) by William Morris, Clive Wilmer (Editor) Paperback (January 1994) Penguin USA (Paper); ISBN: 0140433309
- The Well at the World's End (Pocket Classics Series) by William Morris Paperback (July 1997) Sutton Publishing; ISBN: 0750912073
- William Morris by Linda Parry (Editor), Victoria and Albert Museum Hardcover - 384 pages (October 1996) Harry N Abrams; ISBN: 0810942828
- The Designs of William Morris by William Morris. Paperback - 160 pages (November 1995)
Phaidon Press Inc.; ISBN: 0714834653
- William Morris Full Color Patterns and Designs (Pictorial Archives) by William Morris, Aymer Vallance (Photographer) Paperback - 41 pages (August 1988) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486256456
- William Morris : Decor and Design by Elizabeth Wilhide Hardcover - 192 pages (September 1991)
Harry N Abrams; ISBN: 0810936232
- Icelandic Journals by William Morris, Magnus Magnusson (Illustrator) Hardcover - 214 pages
Dufour Editions; ISBN: 1899197257
- American Book Design and William Morris by Susan Otis Thompson.
Paperback - 288 pages 2nd edition (April 1997) Oak Knoll Books; ISBN: 1884718264
Hardcover - 288 pages 2nd rev edition (April 1997)
Oak Knoll Books; ISBN: 1884718256
- The Collected Works of William Morris (Bcl1-Pr English Lieterature Series) by William Morris Hardcover Reprint edition (August 1992) Reprint Services Corp; ISBN: 078127608X -special reprint= very expensive
- The Earthly Paradise (Garland Reference Library of the Humanities, Vol. 1939) by William Morris, Florence Saunders Boos (Editor) Hardcover - 793 pages (December 1999)
Garland Pub; ISBN: 081532104X -- This item will be published in December 1999.
- Journalism : Contributions to Commonweal 1885-1890 (The William Morris Library Series) by William Morris, Nicholas Salmon (Editor) Paperback (December 1996) Thoemmes Pr; ISBN: 1855064596
- William Morris : Art and Kelmscott (Occasional Paper (Society of Antiquaries of London), 18)
by Linda Parry (Editor) Paperback - 164 pages (June 1996) Boydell & Brewer; ISBN: 0851156703
- The Art of William Morris Cross-Stitch : Over 40 Projects Inspired by the Design Master by Barbara Hammet. Hardcover (October 1996) Reader's Digest Association; ISBN: 0895778866
- Beth Russell's William Morris Needlepoint by Beth Russell, Jane Cavolina (Editor) Hardcover - 128 pages (October 1995) Crown Pub; ISBN: 0517701669
- The Life of William Morris by J. W. MacKail
Library Binding Vol 2 vols. Haskell House Pub Ltd; ISBN: 0838310702
Paperback - 364 pages (November 1995) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486287939
- The Flowers of William Morris by Derek W. Baker, Hardcover (September 1996) Chicago Review Pr; ISBN: 1556523076 - About his gardens and their influence on his work.
- The Gardens of William Morris by Jill, Penny Hart, John Simmons, Duchess of Hamilton Jill. Hardcover - 160 pages (April 1999) Stewart Tabori & Chang; ISBN: 1556708718
- Redesigning the World : William Morris, the 1880S, and the Arts and Crafts by Peter Stansky Paperback Reprint edition (February 1996) Sposs; ISBN: 0930664159